FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) about child custody and visitation issues. If you are getting a divorce and have children this area will help you better understand the issues of your divorce that will include your children.
- What is child custody?
- What child custody arrangement is considered best?
- Does a custody dispute need to go to trial?
- Do I need a lawyer for a child custody dispute?
- What is the typical judicial attitude towards custody?
- What are parent’s attitudes towards custody?
- After divorce, how do majority of parents react to custody arrangements?
- How is child custody decided?
- What is a typical child custody statute?
- What is the most important factor in deciding child custody?
- Why is the parent-child relationship factor so important?
- What if my ex-spouse "poisons" the relationship between me and the child(ren)?
- Should I have someone to evaluate the relationship between me and my child(ren)?
- Is this evaluation the same as a "custody evaluation"?
- How long does the child custody evaluation process take?
- Should a boy live with his father and a girl live with her mother?
- Do young child(ren) need their mother more than their father?
- What if I was more responsible for the child(ren) than my spouse?
- What about religious preferences?
- What about custody in an interracial marriage?
- What if I am in better health than my spouse? How does that effect custody decisions?
- My wife works outside the home, therefore spends little time with the child(ren). Should I be awarded custody?
- My husband smokes marijuana on a daily basis. Should he be barred from being granted custody?
- My ex-wife’s boyfriend smokes cigarettes, and my child has asthma. Should I be awarded custody?
- My soon to be ex-husband is living with his girlfriend. Can I prevent him from having visitation?
- My soon to be ex-wife is a lesbian. Should I be awarded custody?
- Should I be awarded custody, since my ex-husband spanks our child(ren)?
- What should I do if I think that my ex-husband is molesting our child(ren).
- My son wants to live with me. Should his wishes be honored and/or considered by the judge?
- When is my child declared independent?
- I’ll take custody of our son, and my wife will take custody of our daughter. That’s fair, isn’t it?
- My ex-husband used to abuse me. What if I do not want him near the children?
- Does there have to be a custody agreement?
- Can a non-parent obtain custody of my child(ren)?
- How is child custody jurisdiction established?
- Can my child be used as a witness in court relative to our divorce proceedings?
- During the time of separation, should I ask my child with whom he or she would want to live?
- What is joint physical custody?
- Is joint legal custody a better solution?
- If we don’t get along, how can we have joint legal custody?
- Why does joint physical custody seem so complicated?
- What is visitation and how does it work?
- How do my spouse and I devise a visitation schedule?
- Do all parents have the right to visitation?
- Can a visitation schedule be modified at a later date?
- What should I do if my child does not want to see me?
- How do I make the most out of the little time I have with my child(ren)?
- How can I keep a close relationship from a distance?
- How can I get to know my child(ren) again?
- My ex-husband moved 60 miles away after the divorce. How can we establish schedule to accommodate for the distance?
- Do we have to keep the same visitation schedule?
- Can I request limited visitation?
- I don’t like my ex-wife’s new boyfriend. Can I get an order saying he can’t be around during visitation?
- I don’t like my ex-husband’s new boyfriend. Can I get an order saying he can’t be around during visitation?
- When can the judge deny visitation rights?
- My ex-wife is interfering with my visitation. What can I do?
- I never get to visit my child(ren) Can I stop paying child support?
- What if my child chooses not to adhere to the visitation agreement?
- I’d like visitation with my ex-wife’s children, but I’m their stepfather. Can I be granted visitation?
- I’d like visitation with my gay ex-partner’s biological child. Is this possible?
- What if my ex-husband’s parents want visitation?
- What if my ex-wife just got a new job in another state, and wants to move there with the child(ren)?
- For what reason(s) may a custodial parent relocate with the children?
- If my ex-wife moves with the child(ren), can my child(ren) visit me for longer periods of time?
- My ex-wife is moving away with the children. Can I petition for custody?
- Will my children have to fly alone to visit me?
- Who’s going to pay for the traveling expenses?
- What if we can’t afford the travel expenses?
- Can my spouse and I specify our child custody arrangement in our separation agreement?
- If we can specify our child custody arrangement, does the court have to approve it?
- What if we cannot agree on our child custody arrangement?
- Can we put in our agreement that one spouse shall be responsible for making all the decisions for them?
- How is this stated in the separation agreement?
- What would be considered as "major decisions"?
- Would we be able to specify a joint custody arrangement in our agreement?
- How would a typical clause for joint custody read?
- Would we have to declare where the child(ren) would live under a joint custody arrangement?
- How can that be phrased?
- What if we would not be able to agree on the "routine decisions" after the agreement has been executed?
- Can the interests of the children be included in the agreement?
- Are there other clauses we can add, which address issues related to education, religious, or social activities?