What is the "Deferred Distribution" or "Reserve Jurisdiction" approach?
Under this method, the court retains jurisdiction and allocates the benefits between the parties when they are actually paid.
(1) Each spouse shares equally in the risk of forfeiture.
(2) The court can divide and distribute the pension benefits in terms of monies actually paid.
(1) By prolonging the date of final distribution of assets, you can also prolong the hostilities between the spouses.
(2) The employee spouse could choose certain benefit options that would have an adverse effect on the non-employee spouse’s portion.
3) The non-employee spouse could forget about his/her interest in the employee’s pension rights.