Frequently Asked Questions about Spousal Support
Ask the Divorced Guy! Ask the Divorced Woman!
How is spousal support or alimony paid or distributed?
There are several factors to be considered based upon the current laws:
- The advantages and disadvantages of lump-sum settlement.
- The amount of such payment and the method it will be paid (cash, property).
- Will it be paid in installments?
- Conditions attached to paying and receiving (disability, death, remarriage, cohabitation).
- Terms arranged to provide enforcement measures.
- Tax effects of proposed arrangements.
- The effects of will and inheritances.
What are the risks involved?
There is always some risk involved with actual getting all of the court ordered payments. The factors that often lead to these risks are:
- Additional expenses from new marriage or new family.
- Incapacitation through illness.
- Payment withheld as punishment, due to an other order violation.
- Refusal to pay.
Spousal Support Menu
Divorce Support Home
Copyright (c)1998, Divorce Source, Inc. Comments or suggestions? email@example.com