Can a non-parent obtain custody of my child(ren)?

It is possible. However, the court must be petitioned with a strong case that the non-parent has a meaningful relationship with the child, and that it is in the best interest for the child(ren) to be living with the non-parent.

Grandparents are the most likely non-parents to petition the court for custodial rights. Grandparents have the right to petition for custody as does anyone else. The difficulty in actually getting custody is proving that it is in the best interests for the child(ren) to be with them. Grandparents have many other rights, especially concerning visitation. If this issue is of concern, you should consider reading up on grandparentís rights as soon as possible. Grandparentís rights have become a very hot topic within the family law spectrum.