Can my spouse and I specify our child custody arrangement in our separation agreement?

For the most part, you may. Be aware that some states do not allow separation agreements regarding the issues of child custody. Other states require an additional agreement concerning custody, which is called "parenting plan agreements." In most cases you are permitted to outline the custody arrangements in the separation agreement and have the agreement incorporate or merge the parenting agreement, which further address the custody details.