Can the former spouse receive a lump sum payment from the CSRS or FERS?

A Former Spouse may not receive a lump sum distribution of retirement benefits, but may receive a lump sum payment of any withdrawal of contributions elected by the Employee. The COAP has to clearly illustrate the payment of benefits when a withdrawal of contributions is requested by the Employee.