Do I have to hire a private detective to locate a non-paying parent?

There is nothing preventing you from doing so, if you have the adequate funds, but be aware that all states are required to have parent locator services that will assist in locating non-paying parents. Again, these services are understaffed and often have a crushing caseload, so your claim may not be heard for quite some time.