Do I have to pay child support since my child now has recently decided to attend college?

In some states, but not all, courts can order the parent to pay for college in the absence of an agreement or a clause within an agreement. Certain factors will be examined before making this determination. The judge will look to see if your child would have gone to college if your marriage had remained intact and whether you would have paid for it or a portion of it under those circumstances. In addition, the judge will evaluate whether your child is ready for college and would have a reasonable chance of success in college; whether you have the ability to pay; and your relationship with your child.

To avoid this problem, be sure to cover the issue of support of a college education when your child support agreement is initially drafted and signed.