Do you need a court hearing to have a separation agreement?

You do not have to have a separate hearing to divide property. For example, if during the hearing, the court accepts the separation agreement then the legal separation is set in motion.

Typically the separation agreement is presented to the court at the hearing. In order to further understand your situation, the court will proceed with a formal process by asking questions of you and/or your spouse. The judge will take your testimony and evidence (if any) into consideration and grant you the wishes or a portion of the wishes stated in the separation agreement.

If your separation is amicable, and you and your spouse have both signed the separation agreement, more than likely the judge will grant your request and make it part of your separation order.