Does my ex-husband have to live in my state to motion for contempt or file suit in regards to back due child support?

No, this is not necessary. Under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, you can file a petition in your state against your ex-husband. A lawyer is the best person to advise you on this issueor you can contact your county child support enforcement office.