Does the military have spousal support guidelines?

Let’s say a civilian spouse is trying negotiate support from her ex-husband who is in the Army and argues that he can’t afford a lot since he gets a housing allowance. She can argue her case from the interim support guidelines, which are readily available.

The military has regulations establishing interim support guidelines. These guidelines specify that the member of the military must provide support to dependents in an amount equal to his full housing for allowance at what is called the “with dependent” rate.

Like child support guidelines, these interim support guidelines work best as a temporary measure until a spouse can obtain a court order after which she can obtain an allotment.