Does there have to be a custody agreement?

It is required by law, for at least one parent to always be legally responsible for the child(ren). Any change in the status of custody rights must also always be made in concern with the judicial system. It is very important to see that the court recognizes any changes you and your ex-spouse agree to make in the future. This is done by motioning the court for a modification of the existing custody or separation agreement. Too often parents neglect to have changes recognized by the court and find that legally the court cannot recognize verbal agreements between you and the other parent.