During the time of separation, should I ask my child with whom he or she would want to live?

Usually, if the child has not independently come forward with a stated preference, it is a strong indication that he or she does not wish to make that decision.

If you wish to do this, it is recommended to consult a family counselor before doing so. He or she may be able to shine some light on the appropriate method or approach to use.