If my mother has custody of our child can she get child support from the child’s father?

Parents are responsible for child support of their biological and adopted children, even though custody may be with non-parents. Grandparents are able to get child support from nonpaying parents, if they have legal custody of the child in question. In fact, in one state the failure of a biological parent to pay child support to a grandparent while the grandchild was in the custody of the grandparent constituted abandonment and the parental rights of the nonpaying parent were terminated.