Introduction To Reimbursement

Inform your attorney about every joint financial burden you personally have taken on that benefits the marital community. Don’t worry now about the reason for doing it, just get them on the list. Although a few of the bills that you mention may be your separate obligation after separation, it’s likely that half of most of them belong to your spouse.

Your attorney will probably send a letter listing the obligations that you are paying, demanding reimbursement for sums already paid and contribution for future payments. If you can’t get a written agreement that these payments will be reimbursed to you from the community, you’ll have to ask the court for an order now. The next chapter will show you the way.

Keep these bills and records of your payments in a separate folder. You’ll need them at the end of your case to get your money back if you don’t get it now, whether by court order or agreement.

There is a second type of reimbursement, usually limited to only principal contributions to real property acquisition. If you used your separate property as a down payment, to pay down the mortgage or to make improvements to any real property in both of your names, also bring this to your attorney’s attention. Provide all documents or copies showing this contribution. You may be able to get your money back, although without interest or appreciation.