Is the Basic Allowance for Housing considered in determining spousal support?

As described above, the military housing allowance, now called the Basic Allowance for Housing (or BAH), is nontaxable allowance paid to service members who do not live in government housing. Service members also receive a BAH if they are separated from their immediate family members.

When a couple is not legally separated, the military spouse is required to support his dependents -- his spouse and children. Depending upon the jurisdiction of the divorce, the former spouse must then request that an allotment be made against her former spouse’s pay.