My ex-husband was just convicted of a crime and imprisoned. Does this mean he no longer has to pay child support?

Some states have held that imprisonment is an involuntary act, and therefore the prisoner does not have to pay child support, for the duration of the imprisonment. On the other hand, an increasing number of courts are holding that imprisonment is a voluntary act, in that the crime was intended and the chance of imprisonment was a foreseeable consequence. Under this analysis child support is not suspended and income can be imputed to the prisoner (Unfortunately, this analysis leaves aside the problem of collecting child support from a prisoner, and the fact that the imputed income for a prisoner may be substantially low).