My ex-wife is moving away with the children. Can I petition for custody?

Again, the answer to this question can vary from state to state. In some states, if the custodial parent cannot show to the satisfaction of the judge that the relocation is in the best interests of the child, the judge may consider changing custody. The change in custody may be determined to be less of a disruption than would be the change in location, school systems, friends, acquaintances, etc.