Well, how do you know how your state treats marital and separate property?

The best person to consult is your lawyer or mediator. He or she is familiar with the law in your state. Obviously not everyone can afford legal help, so it is very common for individuals to go to the County Court House Library, which is open to the public, and do research with the help of the librarian. Please, do not get the workers at the library or the courthouse confused with lawyers. They do not practice law, so they will refuse to answers any legal related questions.