West Virginia Simplified Divorce Procedures

If 1 spouse files a verified complaint for divorce on the grounds of "irreconcilable differences," the other spouse may file a verified "answer" admitting the "irreconcilable differences" and a divorce will be granted. Circuit clerks are required to have supplies of an official "petition" and an "answer" form on hand, free of charge. No witnesses will be necessary for any proof for a divorce on the grounds of "irreconcilable differences." In other cases, witnesses will be required. The court may approve or reject a marital settlement agreement of the spouses. Standard financial disclosure forms are required to be filed. [West Virginia Code; Sections 48-5-402, 48-5-403, 48-6-201, 48-7-201, and 48-7-203 and West Virginia Rules of Civil Procedure; Rule 80].