What can a woman do to protect her children when she cannot get a Temporary Restraining Order quickly enough?

There are shelters available in many towns and cities. They may be known as the battered women’s shelters or just the women’s shelters. Women and children who are victims of domestic violence may stay in a shelter until the crisis passes or until they are able to find a permanent place to relocate. The local police, welfare department, or women’s center can help in finding shelter. Some shelters are also listed in the phone book under "Crisis Intervention Services," "Family Services," "Human Service Organizations," or "Women’s Aid."

The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence at 303-839-1852, or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 800-799-SAFE can also help.