What if I am not sure where the father, who is obligated to be paying child support, resides?

Unfortunately, before you can file a motion for contempt, you have to know where the nonpaying parent resides. The nonpaying parent would have to be served with legal papers notifying him or her of the pending hearing on the motion. Your state agency responsible with enforcing child support orders will have a database for tracking down errant parents.