What if my child chooses not to adhere to the visitation agreement?

You should encourage your child to visit with the non-custodial parent. Your obligation, as a parent, is to continue to support the visitation schedule, notwithstanding the wishes of the child. The object of visitation, as noted, is to allow a parent to maintain a healthy relationship with his or her child(ren). Parents do not have the legal right to stop visitation on their own volition.

If you believe that the child does not want to visit with the non-custodial because of abuse or similar reasons, you can and should report this and petition the judge for a modification. Even in this situation the custodial parent cannot legally stop visitation of his or her own volition.