What if my child just joined the Marines and won’t be going to college, at least for a few years. Do I still owe child support?

If your child has joined the military, he or she is legally emancipated, and your child support obligations have ceased.

Once your child is emancipated (by entering the military for example) he cannot become "unemancipated" at a later date by attending college. This type of issue can cause quite a controversy, but more often the judge would recognize that the children cannot choose when they want to be emancipated. If this was permitted the financial future for parenting paying support would be rather unpredictable.