Would international law be relevant when divorcing a military member who is overseas?

No, international law would probably not be involved. A soldier or a sailor is still a United States citizen or resident, even if he is serving overseas.

There is a treaty, or “convention,” between nations that refers to rules of service of process abroad. This treaty is called the Hague Convention on Service Abroad of Judicial and Extrajudicial Documents. The rules of compliance can be confusing for nonlawyers, so a lawyer may be a good idea for a party who must resort to the Hague Convention.

The Hague Convention is most likely to come into play when there are children who have improperly or illegally been removed from a custodial parent.